[DRBD-user] Failure: (119) No valid meta-data signature found after expanding the underlying block device

Yannis Milios yannis.milios at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 11:04:40 CEST 2012

hello all!

I have a two node primary/primary config.
My config is as follows:

resource r0 {
  protocol C;
  startup {
    wfc-timeout  15;     # non-zero wfc-timeout can be dangerous (
http://forum.p
roxmox.com/threads/3465-Is-it-safe-to-use-wfc-timeout-in-DRBD-configuration)
    degr-wfc-timeout 60;
    become-primary-on both;
  }
  net {
    cram-hmac-alg sha1;
    shared-secret "password";
    allow-two-primaries;
    after-sb-0pri discard-zero-changes;
    after-sb-1pri discard-secondary;
    after-sb-2pri disconnect;
  }
syncer {
       rate 50M;
       }

  on node1 {
    device /dev/drbd0;
    disk /dev/sdb;
    address 172.16.35.2:7788;
    meta-disk internal;
  }
  on node2 {
    device /dev/drbd0;
    disk /dev/sdb;
    address 172.16.35.1:7788;
    meta-disk internal;
  }
}

The underlying block device (/dev/sdb) is a hardware raid-5 array on both
nodes (total 500gb).
I tried to expand this device by adding additional hdd on each node (now
750gb).
After that giving fdisk -l /dev/sdb I can see the new disk size on both
nodes.
DRBD accesses directly the /dev/sdb device without underlying LV.

So after the expansion of the block device on both nodes I get:

cat /proc/drbd
version: 8.3.10 (api:88/proto:86-96)
GIT-hash: 5c0b0469666682443d4785d90a2c603378f9017b build by phil at fat-tyre,
2011-01-28 12:17:35
 0: cs:Unconfigured

drbdadm up r0:

Failure: (119) No valid meta-data signature found.

        ==> Use 'drbdadm create-md res' to initialize meta-data area. <==

Command 'drbdsetup 0 disk /dev/sdb /dev/sdb internal --set-defaults
--create-device' terminated with exit code 10

It seems like it can not see the meta data on both nodes on /dev/sdb?

Now giving:

drbdadm create-md r0:

pvs stderr:        /dev/sdb: Skipping (regex)
pvs stderr:  Failed to read physical volume "/dev/sdb"
pvs stderr:      Unlocking /run/lock/lvm/P_global
pvs stderr:        _undo_flock /run/lock/lvm/P_global

md_offset 75161923584
al_offset 75161890816
bm_offset 75159597056

Found LVM2 physical volume signature
    73398044 kB left usable by current configuration
Could not determine the size of the actually used data area.

Device size would be truncated, which
would corrupt data and result in
'access beyond end of device' errors.
If you want me to do this, you need to zero out the first part
of the device (destroy the content).
You should be very sure that you mean it.
Operation refused.

Command 'drbdmeta 0 v08 /dev/sdb internal create-md' terminated with exit
code 40
drbdadm create-md r0: exited with code 40

Any suggestions please?

Thank you