[DRBD-user] Does anyone have performance numbers for DRBD over SSDs

Nik Martin nik.martin at nfinausa.com
Thu Aug 16 23:53:41 CEST 2012

Regards,

Nik

On 2012-08-08, 15:13, Amit Golander (amit at tonian.com) wrote:

Hi,
DRBD documentation talks about tuning performance when using DRBD with hard drives. It does not mention SSDs... In fact the last time I found it mentioned (in this forum, a year and a half ago), was when it was recomended to use Infiniband and not expect much...

http://lists.linbit.com/pipermail/drbd-user/2011-January/015504.html

It would be great if someone can share the performance numbers and/or expirience they had trying to do this.

Thanks,
   Amit

Are you referring to sync rate?  You will always be limited to your I/O Subsystem's bus speed.  That said, with 10GbE directly connecting two storage servers that are RAID6 with hard drives on SATA 3.0 busses, I was able to achieve sustained sync rates of 620 MB/sec, or 82% of the bus speed on the initial sync.  I would not expect SSD to perform any better on initial sync.  That said, the higher IOPS of SSDs will certailny mean that the parallel sync/read/write times will not degrade as fast as they do on HDs, and on SSD random seek time goes away, since there is no seeking on an SSD.

Regards,

Nik Martin
VP of Business Development
nfina Technologies, Inc.