Note: "permalinks" may not be as permanent as we would like,
direct links of old sources may well be a few messages off.
OK. This didn't quite go to plan. I assigned the proper IP address to the DRDB NIC on the secondary successfully. But: Firstly my version of drbdadm doesn't support "--discard-my-data" # "drbdadm connect --discard-my-data all" drbdadm: unrecognized option `--discard-my-data' try 'drbdadm help' A bit of Googling suggested that this might help: # drbdadm -- --discard-my-data connect all - allegedly to pass the option straight through to drbdsetup. But that gave an error - complaining that: 0: Failure: (123) --discard-my-data not allowed when primary. So I then tried: # drbdadm secondary all 0: State change failed: (-12) Device is held open by someone Command 'drbdsetup 0 secondary' terminated with exit code 11 1: State change failed: (-12) Device is held open by someone Command 'drbdsetup 1 secondary' terminated with exit code 11 pves2:/etc/network# Google then suggested: # vgchange -an <volume group> .. so I ran that on drbdvg and drbdvg1. Then "drbdadm secondary all" worked successfully, following which, "drbdadm connect --discard-my-data all" was also happy to run. I watched /proc/drbd while the mirror synced up - it displays nice little progress bars like this: # cat /proc/drbd version: 8.3.7 (api:88/proto:86-91) srcversion: EE47D8BF18AC166BE219757 0: cs:SyncSource ro:Primary/Secondary ds:UpToDate/Inconsistent C r---- ns:1253940 nr:0 dw:41622456 dr:181039187 al:519664 bm:519738 lo:18 pe:223 ua:60 ap:8 ep:1 wo:b oos:10332000 [=>..................] sync'ed: 10.8% (10088/11300)M finish: 0:17:43 speed: 9,672 (12,680) K/sec 1: cs:SyncSource ro:Primary/Secondary ds:UpToDate/Inconsistent C r---- ns:1296696 nr:0 dw:4851300 dr:17169105 al:1699 bm:1946 lo:0 pe:120 ua:0 ap:8 ep:1 wo:b oos:742860 [===========>........] sync'ed: 63.6% (742860/2034536)K finish: 0:00:46 speed: 16,108 (13,180) K/sec .. and it completed successfully. Comfortingly, the VMs on the first node continued to work properly. Anyway .. since it was now in Primary/Secondary and the logical volumes were unavailable, I rebooted the second box. And finally, # cat /proc/drbd version: 8.3.7 (api:88/proto:86-91) srcversion: EE47D8BF18AC166BE219757 0: cs:Connected ro:Primary/Primary ds:UpToDate/UpToDate C r---- ns:11689952 nr:0 dw:41746996 dr:191403115 al:522263 bm:522764 lo:0 pe:0 ua:0 ap:0 ep:1 wo:b oos:0 1: cs:Connected ro:Primary/Primary ds:UpToDate/UpToDate C r---- ns:2073056 nr:0 dw:4888628 dr:17917209 al:1706 bm:2088 lo:0 pe:0 ua:0 ap:0 ep:1 wo:b oos:0 # Deep joy. Many thanks for the help, and I hope this thread will prove useful to some other victim of their career choice at some point in the future. James