[DRBD-user] Backup issues with OCFS2

Dirk Bonenkamp - ProActive dirk at proactive.nl
Thu Apr 19 20:55:21 CEST 2012

Op 17-4-2012 22:48, Lars Ellenberg schreef:
> On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 08:09:06AM +0200, Dirk Bonenkamp - ProActive wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I'm still having issues with backing up this file system. I've followed
>> the advice and used LVM under my DRBD device (Disk -> LVM -> DRBD -> OCFS2).
>>
>> I can create a snapshot (I have to run a fsck.ocfs2 on this snaphot
>> after cloning the volume every time). I mount the snapshot read only
>> with local filelocks.
>>
>> The performance of this snapshot volume is even worse than the original
>> volume.... Performance (on the original volume and the snapshot volume)
>> seems to degrade when the numbers of files in a directory rise. When I
>> say performance, I mean 'operations where every file needs to be
>> checked' like rsync or 'find . -mtime -1 print'. Performance for my
>> application is great (writing a couple of thousand files a day and
>> reading a couple of 100.000 a day) dd tests give me 200 MB/s writes and
>> 600 MB/s reads.
>>
>> Am I missing something here, or will this setup just never work for my
>> backups...?
> stat() can be a costly syscall.
> even more so on cluster file systems.
>
> Hope you have already mounted -o noatime?
Yes, I have, from the start.
> Even readdir respectively getdents is typically more expensive
> on cluster file systems. keeping the number of files per directory
> small-ish (whatever that may be for your context) may help,
> introducing hirachical "hashing" subdirectories can help with doing so.
Keeping the number of files small-ish is not really an option here...
Few directories with tons of files due to the nature of the application
it runs.

> And I'm not even speaking of stat()ing cache-cold,
> while some other random IO plus streaming IO happens....
> (adding more RAM helps for this one, as does tuning
> vm.vfs_cache_pressure and maybe swappiness)
>
> Nothing of this has anything to do with DRBD,
> or with streaming IO "performance".
>
> All of this should have been amoung the first hits
> when searching for "OCFS2 slow" ...
Well, my application runs (very) fine on OCFS2. Backups do not (for my
situation) as I found out. Searching for rsync + OCFS2 gives you a lot
of hits on OCFS2 as a replacement for rsync, but surpisingly few about
'my' issue.
> Why do you think you need/want a cluster file system again?
To run 2 active nodes, which works fine. But, since backups are
essential, I went back to the drawing board. I now have a test-setup
with active/passive DRDB with ext4. The master node is NFS server and
the slave mounts the NFS share with the ext4 filesystem. This works just
fine, I did quite some testing the past few days and haven't been able
to 'wreck' it. And backups are a breeze again. So far, so good...

Thanks for your input.

Dirk

--
<http://www.proactive.nl>