[DRBD-user] Info at /proc/drbd diverges on the amount of data to be sync'ed

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Wed Apr 4 19:09:09 CEST 2012

From: Marcelo Pereira <marcelops at gmail.com>
> I'm sync'ing a DRBD unit, and I noticed that the amount of data to be
> sync'ed differs on the /proc/drbd output. Is this a regular situation?
>
> node0:  [>....................] sync'ed:  0.2% (6858504/*6869922*)M
> node1:  [>....................] sync'ed:  0.2% (6858868/*6869920*)M
> node0 says 6,869,922, and node1 says 6,869,920.
>
> I have tried to sync this box a couple of times already, and it always gets
> stalled at 100%.

This doesn't seem right.  What does "blockdev --getsize" return on the backing
device for both machines?  This should generally return the same number, and a
number that's smaller than the output of "blockdev --getsize /dev/drbdX" on
the primary machine unless you're using external metadata.

I see both machines are set to Secondary.  Why is that?  Is there a filesystem
on this DRBD device?  If there is, there may be stupid things going on if the
filesystem is larger than one machine's backing device.  If there isn't a
filesystem on the device yet, you may be able to get away with just "drbdadm
resize" on the resource--that should shrink the DRBD resource to (size of
smallest device - internal metadata space) and prevent weirdness in the
future.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows