[DRBD-user] Hardware-recomendation needed

Maurits van de Lande M.vandeLande at VDL-Fittings.com
Tue Apr 3 12:28:20 CEST 2012

>What do the experts think: Should this be sufficient to get the perfomance of a single SATA-Disk without DRBD?

Probably not, nothing will.

I'm using drbd in primary/primary mode to host KVM images on a two node cluster. (with drbd8.3.12, drbd8.4.1 has some performance issues)
I have switched to SSD's myself(in raid 5 mode). This improved the VM performance, (I guess because reading data is much faster), but drbd syncer speed did not improve. I even installed a 10G network backbone and used 10G network adapters on the servers. But still syncer speed does not go beyond 110MB/s.

I let Linbit look at this setup but they could not get a higher syncer speed with protocol C. I think the problem is that the syncer uses a single thread and therefore is limited by the processing power of one cpu. Turning off power management and IRQ balance helped a little bit, but not much.

I have spend ages trying to increase the syncer rate, for now it seems limited to 110MB/s.

The is my latest drbd.conf

#
# You can find an example in  /usr/share/doc/drbd.../drbd.conf.example

#include "drbd.d/global_common.conf";
#include "drbd.d/*.res";

#
# please have a a look at the example configuration file in
# /usr/share/doc/drbd83/drbd.conf
#

global {
    minor-count 64;
    usage-count yes;
}

common {
  syncer {
  rate 110M;
  verify-alg crc32c;
  #csums-alg sha1; # do not use, slow performance
  al-extents 3733;
  cpu-mask 3;
  }
}