[DRBD-user] Hardware-recomendation needed

Lukas Gradl proxmox at ssn.at
Tue Apr 3 11:53:46 CEST 2012

> I'm not sure I understand the question, sorry.
>
> DRBD isn't much slower than the native disk performance, provided your
> network is fast enough. So the question is less about DRBD's performance
> as it is about the performance you need from the storage. If a standard
> SATA drive's performance is fine, then it's all you need.

I followed the discussion about switch or no switch.

But I'm still stuck with my questions...

For use with KVM with automatic failover I need a primary/primary setup,
so AFAIK protocol C is required.

According to my benchmarks DRBD is much slower in that setup than native
HDD performance and changing the Network-Setup from 1GBit direct link to
2 bonded interfaces doesn't increase speed.

As we've just space for one 3.5" HDD (the other bay is used by the
Boot-SSD) I'm unable to install a raid5-setup.

So I think about installing two SSDs per Server using a 2x2.5" to 1x3.5"
adapter and leaving 20% of each ssd's space unpartitioned because of the
lack of TRIM support.
Then I would create 2 DRBD devices, to store the KVM-Images onto.
Moneywise this is not cheap but ok with our budget.

What do the experts think: Should this be sufficient to get the
perfomance of a single SATA-Disk without DRBD?

regards
Lukas

--
software security networks