[DRBD-user] Antwort: Re: Hardware-recomendation needed

Robert.Koeppl at knapp.com Robert.Koeppl at knapp.com
Mon Apr 2 12:41:45 CEST 2012

The main downside of using a switch in your DRBD interlink is that you add
another component that can - and at the worst possible time will - fail.
If using a switched network use it with two network cards, two switches
and Active/passive bonding. Otherwise you have the switch as single point
of failure.
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best Regards

Robert Köppl

Customer Support & Projects
Teamleader IT Support

KNAPP Systemintegration GmbH
Waltenbachstraße 9
8700 Leoben, Austria
Phone: +43 3842 805-322
Fax: +43 3842 82930-500
robert.koeppl at knapp.com
www.KNAPP.com

Commercial register number: FN 138870x
Commercial register court: Leoben

The information in this e-mail (including any attachment) is confidential
and intended to be for the use of the addressee(s) only. If you have
received the e-mail by mistake, any disclosure, copy, distribution or use
of the contents of the e-mail is prohibited, and you must delete the
e-mail from your system. As e-mail can be changed electronically KNAPP
assumes no responsibility for any alteration to this e-mail or its
attachments. KNAPP has taken every reasonable precaution to ensure that
any attachment to this e-mail has been swept for virus. However, KNAPP
does not accept any liability for damage sustained as a result of such
attachment being virus infected and strongly recommend that you carry out
your own virus check before opening any attachment.

Felix Frank <ff at mpexnet.de>
Gesendet von: drbd-user-bounces at lists.linbit.com
02.04.2012 12:36

An
Digimer <lists at alteeve.ca>
Kopie
drbd-user at lists.linbit.com
Thema
Re: [DRBD-user] Hardware-recomendation needed

On 04/02/2012 10:09 AM, Digimer wrote:
> I'm open to being shown why I am wrong though (seriously :) ). Do you
> have any testing numbers or arguments against using a switch?

You got me. I've never made such analysis. It's more a case of "common
sense agrees with general recommendations agrees with general anxiety" ;-)

I'ts also that I'm fairly certain that if you do use a switched network
for you DRBD links, it is unlikely to be dedicated (because then it
would be almost trivial to remove the switch from this piece of your
setup). Again, I've been in situations where you cannot have a dedicated
link, and I sympathize, but it's a painful choice and I encourage
everyone to refrain from it.

I cannot comment on the sense (or lack thereof) in switching your
dedicated links. Your point appears valid.

Cheers,
Felix