[DRBD-user] DRBD, Xen, HVM and live migration

Bart Coninckx bart.coninckx at telenet.be
Fri Sep 23 18:51:32 CEST 2011

On 09/23/11 18:28, Felix Frank wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 09/23/2011 06:18 PM, Bart Coninckx wrote:
>> Felix,
>> do you combine your setup with clustering software? Or do you script a
>> live migration? I'm intrigued by how you handle the timing in the latter
>> case.
>
> ah, I didn't make this really clear.
>
> I haven't set this up with either live migration capabilities nor
> pacemaker. All I have is a hot standby for manual recovery in case of a
> primary node failure. Sorry.
>
> I believe that for pacemaker, you would have both your nodes be primary
> at all times (i.e., not use a master-slave set at all).
> Not a thrilling perspective, I guess.
>
> Cheers,
> Felix

I see :-)
The project I'm engaging into does require things like live migration
and quick backup.
I guess the answer to my question would be to use a dual primary DRBD
setup with GFS or OCFS on top of and Pacemaker dealing with the
migrations. Backup could then be a matter of snapshot one of the DRBD
nodes. If DRBD is built on LVM, this should be easy (after an xm save).

thx again,

B.