[DRBD-user] Opinion on hardware for a DRBD active/passive

Igor Neves igor at 3gnt.net
Fri Sep 16 16:57:01 CEST 2011

Hi,

That 3ware will kill your scenario radically and of course, 20 virtual
host's does not say anything about your setup. If you have a simple php
setup, with for example, magento on it, your machine can hang with just
one VM.

With virtualization, you need I/O, focus your budget on I/O, otherwise
you will not get nothing. Exchange that setup from 3ware to areca, and
you see a machine with 10x more computer performance (i'm not exaggerating).

And 8Gb of memory, for 20 machines it's insane low. Your host should get
at least 2G, let's say you stay with 6G for virtual machine, you will
get what? 256M for each VM? That's bad :(.

Don't forget DDR memory now it's expensive. And don't buy domestic
disks, buy enterprise disks, or you will be sorry for that very soon! :P

Buying second hand storage (disks) it's very bad idea, new disks comes
bad now imagine used disks...

NOTE: 3ware does not play well with anything, has nothing to do with drbd

Good luck,

On 08-09-2011 19:50, Moti Levy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am building a KVM environment to reaplce some old dev/QA servers,
> due to budget constraints I dont have a lot to invest in storage.
>
> I wanted to know if anyone is using or used these :
> RACKABLE 3U STORAGE SERVER S3012-F
> I saw some on ebay with the following specs :
>
> ARIMA HDAMA DUAL PROCESSOR SERVER BOARD
> 2 AMD OPTERON 280 2.4GHz DUAL CORE CPU
> 8GB PC3200R DDR
> 12X 500GB SATA HARD DRIVES
> 3WARE 9500 raid controller
> which seems fine but I know 3ware and drbd do not play well together
> and was looking for some input.
>
> The environment will run about 20 virtual hosts, with light load (
> mainly testing PHP code )
>

> Thanks
>
> Moti

Igor Neves<igor.neves at 3gnt.net>