[DRBD-user] DRBD with KVM for live migrations

Trey Dockendorf treydock at gmail.com
Sun Oct 30 19:35:53 CET 2011

Hello, I'm looking to use DRBD for the first time with my existing KVM
servers to facilitate live migrations, and had a few questions.  I've seen
lots of documentation on using DRBD with LVM based virtual machine disks,
but I prefer to use qcow2 images.  Is it possible to have DRBD replicate
the volume all the images are stored on rather than each individual VM LVM
block device?  What would be used to ensure that only one KVM node is
accessing the disks at a time until migration is needed?  If anyone has any
advice or suggestions please let me know.  This is my  first time using
anything for file system replication.

Also, due to limitations of my current network I will not have a private or
public network dedicated to the traffic of replication.  Is it possible to
use a cross-over cable between my two nodes to facilitate the DRBD
function?  Would I still be able to monitor and control DRBD via the node's
public port using a different server?

Thanks
- Trey