[DRBD-user] Upgrading from 8.3.10 to 8.4.0, requires full sync?

Mark Deneen mdeneen at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 16:40:03 CEST 2011

I upgraded a simple 2 node (primary / secondary) system from 8.3.10 to
8.4.0, and the secondary node showed up as Diskless.  To do the
upgrade, I gracefully stopped both nodes, removed drbd, installed the
new drbd, brought up the primary and then the secondary.  Very little,
if anything, should have been out of sync.

This is the log from the secondary node when drbd started:
http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=Zx2t1LC4

/proc/drbd shows that the disk is not attached, so I used drbdadm to
attach.  When doing so, it tells me this: "No usable activity log
found. Do you need to create-md?"
Following the suggestion, since I don't really mind a full resync to
test, I attempt to do create-md:

root at scorpion:~# drbdadm create-md vmfiles
md_offset 107374178304
al_offset 107374145536
bm_offset 107370868736

Found ext3 filesystem
   104854364 kB data area apparently used
   104854364 kB left usable by current configuration

Even though it looks like this would place the new meta data into
unused space, you still need to confirm, as this is only a guess.

Do you want to proceed?
[need to type 'yes' to confirm] yes

You want me to create a v08 style flexible-size internal meta data block.
There appears to be a v08 flexible-size internal meta data block
already in place on /dev/drbdvg/vmfiles at byte offset 107374178304
Do you really want to overwrite the existing v08 meta-data?
[need to type 'yes' to confirm]

So why is the AL unusable?  After overwriting the meta data block, the
device attaches and does a full re-sync.  Oddly enough, out of 7
resources, 6 were diskless -- one was connected.

Unfortunately, I don't have any devices in this scenario right now
since I needed to get things moving and did a full sync on all
resources.  It doesn't look like I am the first to experience this:
http://lists.linbit.com/pipermail/drbd-user/2011-July/016592.html

-M