[DRBD-user] Question on local block error behavior

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Fri Oct 14 14:09:50 CEST 2011

On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 09:02:47AM +0200, Florian Haas wrote:
> On 2011-10-13 20:00, Jojy Varghese wrote:
> > Hi
> >    We are testing drbd for our storage cluster and had a question
> > about the behavior we are seeing. we have layered drbd on top of a
> > device mapper layer. When we simulate a block error using the dm
> > layer, we see that the requests for those particular blocks is
> > forwarded to the peer node. We are using 8.3x version of drbd. The
> > documentation says that the default behavior is to takeout the
> > defective node even if there is 1 block error.
>
> Er, no. It never was, and the documentation (at least the User's Guide)
> never said so.
>
> - Prior to 8.4, the default behavior was to simply not do anything about
> the I/O error and pass it right up to the calling layer, where the
> latter was expected to handle it.
>
> http://www.drbd.org/users-guide-legacy/s-configure-io-error-behavior.html

Uhm, yes, the config option is called pass-on, but it actually still
tries to mask the io error, if it can (remote node stil reachable).
Different versions of DRBD behave slightly different there, more recent
are supposed to "degrade" the failing disk's status to inconsistent,
which is correct, after all.

Still, explicitly configuring "on-io-error detach;" is highly
recommended. The pass-on setting is not paricularly useful.
It is unfortunate that it happens to be the default with 8.3, still.

> - Since 8.4, the default behavior is to transparently read from or write
> to the affected block on the peer node, "detaching" from the local
> (faulty) device and masking the I/O error.
>
> http://www.drbd.org/users-guide/s-configure-io-error-behavior.html
>
> Removal from the cluster in case of an I/O error (by way of a deliberate
> kernel panic) was an option in 0.7, and can still be configured via a
> local-io-error handler. If it was ever the default, then that would have
> been prior to 0.7 -- i.e. long before I started working with DRBD, so I
> wouldn't know.

There used to be a "panic" setting, yes.
But it never was the default.

--
: Lars Ellenberg