[DRBD-user] Disk Corruption = DRBD Failure?

Florian Haas florian at hastexo.com
Wed Oct 12 20:09:07 CEST 2011

On 2011-10-12 20:00, Charles Kozler wrote:
> This was 100% spot on the answer I was looking for- thanks guys!
>
> Also, do any white papers exist on how DRBD works on the inside? From
> what you told me it looks like its

Um, "DRBD Internals" in the DRBD User's Guide? You can also check out
the Publications sections in that same guide; but those are most likely
of interest to kernel developers only. But don't let that scare you,
dive right in if you're so inclined. :)

> Write to DRBD Block Device -> Write to TCP buffer -> Write to host disks
>
> I thought it was
>
> Write DRBD Block Device -> Write to disk -> Write to TCP Buffer -> Write
> to host disks (like a push method almost)

So what's the difference between "Write to disk" and "Write
to host disks" in your model?

The actual pattern is also described in the User's Guide; see the
chapter named "DRBD Fundamentals".

> Which is why I wanted to know about disk corruption but from what it
> seems like is that I should be more concerned about corruption in the
> network stack, right?

No you should be concerned about both, because your users will eat you
alive if you present them broken data, no matter the source of breakage.

Cheers,
Florian

--
Need help with DRBD?