[DRBD-user] Disk Corruption = DRBD Failure?

Felix Frank ff at mpexnet.de
Wed Oct 12 08:57:01 CEST 2011

Hi,

On 10/11/2011 05:09 PM, Charles Kozler wrote:
> Now, what happens if the disk on node1 begins to fail and the blocks
> where /dev/drbd0 resides are corrupted while we continue to write to
> this- will these bad/corrupted blocks be replicated to node2?

I don't think that's possible.

If your disk gets corrupted, it  may write bad data, true. However, DRBD
doesn't re-read the written data from disk before replicating. The DRBD
driver replicates whatever your local kernel *wants* your disk to write.

Corruption of your replica can happen if
1. your link is faulty and the transmitted data is altered or
2. the drive in your Secondary becomes corrupted

There may be other scenarios.

HTH,
Felix