[DRBD-user] General Discussion (Pacemaker Stack + Virtualization Software = Cloud?)

Nick Khamis symack at gmail.com
Sun Oct 2 16:28:40 CEST 2011

Hello Everyone,

We are just adopting the pacemaker stack to offer our voip and db
services to our clients.
My direct and general question is, if we install the HA stack with a
virtualization software
(VMWare, XEN, VirtualBox etc..) on bare steel, do we have in theory
cloud computing?
I understand that solutions offered by OpenStack, Eucalyptus etc...,
are a one stop shop,
offering cool browser access etc.. But for us console lovers, that
could do everything from
a blinking cursor is the underline the same? And for whatever messaging layer

For those that have set up clouds using pacemaker, what does your
setup look like?
Do you use Pacemaker with XEN, Citrix etc, on OCFS2, Lustre ? And what
advantages
do we have of using one virtualization software over another in terms
of support? For example
stonith support and so on...

I am starting this discussion as being rather general, with the hope
we can iron out some specifics.
As for building our clouds without the use of the one stop shop, what
already existing linux projects
are there out there that everyone is using to build, manage, and
monitor their clouds?

Thanks in Advance,

Nick from Toronto.