[DRBD-user] Cluster filesystem question

Andreas Hofmeister andi at collax.com
Wed Nov 30 05:27:45 CET 2011

On 30.11.2011 02:08, John Lauro wrote:

> Andreas, what happens if you block your two nodes from talking directly
> to each other, but allow the client to talk to both?

Mhh, it basically depends what exactly happens when the split occours.

If the writes on both nodes would succeed, the client would sees an
acknowledge from both nodes and will never retry. And since it is
impossible to merge the changes when recovering from the split, writes
to one of the writes would be lost.

If the write operations would block until the split is resolved (through
shooting one node), the client should eventually detect a failure and
deal with it - retry the request with the "good" target.

Ciao
   Andi