[DRBD-user] migration strategy?

Miles Fidelman mfidelman at meetinghouse.net
Fri Nov 18 16:56:06 CET 2011

Hi Folks,

I've been running a 2-node HA cluster for several years - Xen VMs backed
by DRBD volumes + pacemaker for failover.

I've recently added 2 newer nodes, and I'm trying to figure out the most
straightforward way to migrate a couple of production VMs from the old
hardware to the new hardware - with minimum outage.

Just to complicate things a bit, I'm running DRBD 8.0.14 - which doesn't
support a 3-node configuration.

Any suggestions re. a sequence of operations that allows me to:
1.  install latest versions of everything (Debian, DRBD, Xen, Pacemaker,
etc.) on the new nodes (easy)
2.  replicate data volumes to the new nodes while the VMs continue to
run on the old nodes
3.  migrate the VMs to the new nodes
4.  decommission the old nodes

- all with minimal downtime for the VMs, and minimal (or no) period
where I don't have a backup copy of the data?

Thanks much,

Miles Fidelman