[DRBD-user] DRBD + ZFS

Tobias Verbeke tobias.verbeke at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 20:54:06 CET 2011

Hi Noah,

On 11/04/2011 06:41 PM, Noah Mehl wrote:

> Yes, theoretically, you could use drbd as primary/secondary as backing for ZFS.  But I would caution you against using ZFS on linux.  THIS IS NOT MATURE, and the people who made it usable haven't worked on it since April.  So, it doesn't look like it's actively supported.  I would NEVER use this on a production system.  Instead consider using OpenIndiana and ZFS send and receive instead.

Many thanks for your insights. I saw some commit history at

https://github.com/zfsonlinux/zfs

but must admit I already experienced some surprising behaviour,
so thanks again for sharing your assessment!

Would ZFS send and receive be sufficient to take one system down
for maintenance while the other 'automagically' takes over serving
NFS or would that require some extra tools that come with OpenIndiana ?

Best,
Tobias