[DRBD-user] Low.dev. smaller than requested DRBD-dev. size.

Joe Cabrera calcmaster16 at gmail.com
Fri May 27 16:55:51 CEST 2011

I installed drbd with hearbeat on two machine. Since both of the
machines are in a production environment, rebooting the machines can be
quite a task. I set up DRBD on one machine with a an flexible-internal
metadata disk. The other machine had DRBD setup with a external metadata
disk. Since the data we need to replicate already exists on a disk, we
need to go with an external metadata disk. This is the configuration on
both machines.

on apophis {
    device      /dev/drbd0;
    disk        /dev/mapper/mars-tmp;
    address    199.131.563.91:7789;
    flexible-meta-disk  /dev/mapper/mars-boot;
  }

  on mars {
    device    /dev/drbd0;
    disk      /dev/cciss/c0d0p7;
    address   199.131.563.90:7789;
    flexible-meta-disk internal;
  }

I began by zeroing out the disks for metadata with
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mapper/mars-boot bs=1M count=128
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/cciss/c0d0p7 bs=1M count=128

I created metadata disks on both machines with the command
drbdadm create-md home

Then tried to start DRBD with the System V init script
/etc/init.d/drbd start

DRBD started on mars, but when I tried to start it on apophis I got this
message

Low.dev. smaller than requested DRBD-dev. size.

/dev/mapper/mars-tmp is 4TB
/dev/mapper/mars-boot is 9.9GB

/dev/cciss/c0d0p7 is 7 TB

mars is running