[DRBD-user] dd backup of Xen DomU on a DRBD device

Bart Coninckx bart.coninckx at telenet.be
Thu May 12 20:37:14 CEST 2011

On 05/11/11 11:20, Felix Frank wrote:
>>> When you restore a dd image, you return to that point in time, metadata
>>
>>> included.
>>

>> True, but another thing might be the wish to mount the image. Not sure
>> if this will work OK when the metadata is included.
>
> I cannot see why not. After all, you can mount the file system off a
> backing device with no problem (aside from completely f**king up DRBD's
> notion of the data). So mounting it from an image through loop should
> work to pretty much the same effect.
>
>> Another idea might be to have the DRBD metadata simply externally on a
>> SDD drive, problem solved.
>
> Kinda :) If you restore the data to an active DRBD then, this will work
> fine, but you'll set all Quicksync bits (when StandAlone). No problem
> with that really - this *would* indeed be the cleanest and most simple
> solution as far as I can see.
>
> Cheers,
> Felix

OK Felix, all clear, thank you.
Suppose I keep the internal metadata, what would be the procedure for
restore on a dual primary:

- disconnect
- restore with dd
- connect

?
When I reconnect, how will I know that the restored node will have the
"master" data? Do I need to invalidate the second one first?

I guess this too would not be an issue with external metadata ...

Cheers!

B.