[DRBD-user] dd backup of Xen DomU on a DRBD device

Felix Frank ff at mpexnet.de
Wed May 11 09:43:41 CEST 2011

On 05/10/2011 05:35 PM, Bart Coninckx wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I plan to use a dual primary setup for Xen DomUs. The DRBD devices are
> created on top of LVM LVs.
> Before, I used to do this on top of iSCSI devices and for backup I just
> dd-ed the snapshotted LVM device after the DomU was saved (and thus
> temporarely down).
>

> When I would follow this strategy with this LVM-DRBD dual primary setup,
> I will have more than likely the DRBD metadata in the dd dump
> (complicating restores).

Why complicating?

When you restore a dd image, you return to that point in time, metadata
included.

I've seen a similar setup with LVM+DRBD+Xen+Windows work, except no
dual-primary (and no live-migration).

> Is there anything I can do do have a "clean" backup of the Xen DomU when
> it is saved and when the LV underneath the DRBD device is snapshotted?

How about
1. pause and save the VM
2. disconnect DRBD (passive host should be Secondary)
3. resume VM
4. dd from the backing device of the passive host
5. connect DRBD -> Quicksync

Of course, if you ever need to restore one of those images, you should
wipe your old active host including its DRBD metadata so it re-joins the
cluster despite the restored metadata being older.

HTH,
Felix