[DRBD-user] dd backup of Xen DomU on a DRBD device

Bart Coninckx bart.coninckx at telenet.be
Tue May 10 17:35:11 CEST 2011

Hi,

I plan to use a dual primary setup for Xen DomUs. The DRBD devices are
created on top of LVM LVs.
Before, I used to do this on top of iSCSI devices and for backup I just
dd-ed the snapshotted LVM device after the DomU was saved (and thus
temporarely down).

When I would follow this strategy with this LVM-DRBD dual primary setup,
I will have more than likely the DRBD metadata in the dd dump
(complicating restores).

Is there anything I can do do have a "clean" backup of the Xen DomU when
it is saved and when the LV underneath the DRBD device is snapshotted?

thx!

B.