[DRBD-user] loopback devices and DRBD w/Hearbeat

Jeff Humby jeff at 406strategies.com
Thu May 5 21:47:03 CEST 2011

Hello all,

I've been working to configure 2 virtual servers running CentOS 5.6 Kernel 2.6.35.4. The goal is to do this twice. First I would like to create a db cluster then I would like to do the same with the application

I have installed heartbeat, drbd83 and kmod-drbd83

I'm doing this on server slices from Rackspace. The direction for setting up on their side was in the following 2 urls:

http://cloudservers.rackspacecloud.com/index.php/IP_Failover_-_Setup_and_Installing_Heartbeat
http://www.walkernews.net/2007/07/01/create-linux-loopback-file-system-on-disk-file/

I've also been following some direction from:

http://www.fromdual.com/mysql-active-passive-fail-over-cluster-with-centos

I have an external IP and an internal IP available to me but that part is simple. It seems that the issue that I'm having is when I try to get DRBD going on the loopback devices, I don't get anywhere. If there is a thread that I can follow (I'm brand new to the list) that you know about, please refer me to that thread and I will burn through that before I bug you all with this any more.

Has anyone achieved success with loopback devices? Any suggestions

Thank you,

/jh.