[DRBD-user] A High Availability Scenario

Felix Frank ff at mpexnet.de
Mon May 2 14:28:13 CEST 2011

On 05/02/2011 01:10 PM, Meisam Mohammadkhani wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm new to DRBD. I'm searching around a solution for our enterprise
> application that is responsible to save(and manipulate) historical data
> of industrial devices. Now, we have two stations that works like hot
> redundant of each other. Our challenge is in case of failure. Our
> application is running on two totally independent machines and so each
> one has its own disk (it can be scale into more machines and even in WAN
> connectivity in some projects, but we are following spec that I said
> before for now). Applications are writing into many files continiously.
> We are searching around a solution like a "high available transparent
> file system" that makes the fault transparent to the application, so in
> case of fault, redundant machine still can access the files even the
> master machine is down (replica issue or such a thing). Is there any
> feature of DRBD which can help us in this? Also this is notable that our
> application is written in .net so requires windows platform, so we
> should use virtualization if we wanna use DRBD.

Hi,

this is actually a very common use case for DRBD:

Have DRBD sync a disk partition between your machines. This partition
contains the filesystem of a virtual machine. When the active host
fails, start the VM on the secondary host and continue working.

Note that you will suffer performance penalties for a) using
virtualization and b) syncing with DRBD.
If performance is not crucial to your application, there are hardly any
downsides to this setup.

Regards,
Felix