[DRBD-user] Slow Read performance

Maxim Ianoglo dotnox at gmail.com
Mon May 2 12:16:28 CEST 2011

Hi,

> I'm not familiar with this tool. Does it mix reads and writes?
No it does not mix them.
Here is it's testing logic ( seems to be ):
Writing a byte at a time...done
Writing intelligently...done
Rewriting...done
Reading a byte at a time...done
Reading intelligently...done
start 'em...done...done...done...done...done...
Create files in sequential order...done.
Stat files in sequential order...done.
Delete files in sequential order...done.
Create files in random order...done.
Stat files in random order...done.
Delete files in random order...done.

> You may want to consider activating disk flushes. Why does your config
disable those?
Because of BBU present on RAID controller.
http://www.drbd.org/users-guide/s-throughput-tuning.html

> Looking at your write throughput being much larger than your read
> throuhgput(!) I suspect you're writing to some sort of aggressive cache,
> and your reads must wait until the writes are completed to the disk(?)
> If that is indeed the case, this might explain why syncing to the
> secondary slows down the read performance.
I noticed this. Could be "feature" of H700 RAID controller. Anyway I have
changed Write Cache policy to
Write-Through, so theoretically I would have more "real" results. But I
still get same results. I think I will try to contact DELL support/forum ...

Thank you.
--
Maxim Ianoglo