[DRBD-user] Question about WAN replication using 8.3.10

Sean McCreadie smccreadie at CanyonPartners.com
Fri Mar 25 09:55:30 CET 2011

Hello,

I just setup two test DRBD boxes connecting over my WAN running drbd 8.3.10. I am seeing poor write performance during testing and would appreciate any help.

I am using protocol A.  My WAN circuit is capable of sustained 35+ Mb/s throughput and about 12ms RTT latency.  I was hoping this would be enough for decent primary performance.

I understand that writes will be slowed down on the primary node until the send buffer is cleared during heavy writes, so I would like any help with this setting.  I am also interested in the ahead/behind mode but am unsure how to enable it properly.  I have included my recent drbd.conf, I am testing with it now.  If anyone has any tips, thank you in advance.

global {
    usage-count ask;
}

common {
  syncer { rate 10M; }
}

resource vg0_drbd {

  protocol A;

  handlers {
    pri-on-incon-degr "echo O > /proc/sysrq-trigger ; halt -f";
    pri-lost-after-sb "echo O > /proc/sysrq-trigger ; halt -f";
    local-io-error "echo O > /proc/sysrq-trigger ; halt -f";

  }

startup {
   degr-wfc-timeout 120;    # 2 minutes.
  }