[DRBD-user] DRBD sync messages every ten seconds

William Seligman seligman at nevis.columbia.edu
Thu Mar 10 02:19:03 CET 2011

On Wed, 9 Mar 2011 21:46:09 +0100, Lars Ellenberg wrote:

>> > I just did a little archeology. I haven't always experienced these regular DRBD
>> > sync error messages. They began when I made two changes to my configuration file:
>> >
>> > - I switched from "Protocol C" to "Protocol A".
>> > - I added "net { ping-timeout 100; }"
>> >
>> > Are either of these changes likely to cause problems?
>> >
>> > My next step would normally be to reverse those changes, but these are
>> > production systems and it's hard for me to perform tests.
> d'oh.
> :-)
>
> you set ping-timeout to 10 seconds,
> (Why would you do that? That does not make sense...)

It make perfect sense if you assume I'm a doofus, I'm a cosmologist, or I'm a
physicist (at least one of these is true, perhaps more). The drbd.conf man page
clearly states that the units of ping-timeout are tenths of a second, but
somehow I read that as centiseconds. Hence the error of an order of magnitude.

> which happens to be the default for ping-int[erval].
> There is some code branch in the module code that relies on
> these two timeouts to be different.  We will fix that.
>
> Meanwhile, just reduce ping-timeout to something sane,
> or set ping-int to 11 [actually anything != (ping-timeout/10) should do],
> and do a
>  drbdadm disconnect all; drbdadm connect all;
> That should do the trick,
> and can safely be done during production in you case,
> as you have frequent disconnects anyways.

I used "drbdadm adjust all" instead, which I (perhaps in error) thought was
safer. It worked, and the error messages have stopped.

Please elevate Lars Ellenberg's status to that of hero.

--
Bill Seligman             | Phone: (914) 591-2823
Nevis Labs, Columbia Univ | mailto://seligman@nevis.columbia.edu