[DRBD-user] Question about NFS/drbd/heartbeat

Felix Frank ff at mpexnet.de
Mon Mar 7 09:24:04 CET 2011

On 03/04/2011 10:24 PM, Brian Hirt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have recently set up a two node cluster (on ubuntu 10.04LTS servers) using drbd, nfs & pacemaker/heartbeat.   Everything is working well so far.   I have some questions about best practices for the clients that are mounting the volume via NFS and hope people here have some advice.   Specifically, I'm curious about some of the NFS mount options like proto=udp vs proto=tcp,  hard vs. soft, nfsvers=3 vs. nfsvers=4, appropriate timeo= values, should intr be set, etc.   I've already noticed that during failover with a low timeout and soft mount, i can get NFS errors while the shared ip switches over, so I'm pretty sure I want to use hard.  Others options I'm not so sure about.  I've read some conflicting statements from various people on different blogs/mailing lists.

Hi,

I cannot comment on v3 vs. v4 as I haven't tapped into the latter yet.

UDP should be more robust in failover situations, but I believe TCP
yields better performance. You may want to be prepared to have all your
clients perform a remount after you fail your server.

As far as I understand, not using "intr" is saying "I want processes to
be blocked in D state when there are NFS problems" - which I usually
don't want to say.

async is the most important setting performance-wise as far as I'm
concerned. I never played with timeout settings. You may want to raise
readsize and writesize above their defaults as well. I believe that in
most situations, 1MB or at least 32k is more prudent than the default (8k?).

HTH,
Felix