[DRBD-user] Questions about moving the secondary node to a new server

Zhi-Wei Lu zwlu at ucdavis.edu
Thu Jun 30 22:54:53 CEST 2011

Hi DRBD gurus,

I have used drbd for a while and but I have not played with it extensively.

I want to retire a machine configured as secondary node for drbd and
configure a new server instead, which is basically similar to  "Dealing
with permanent node failure".  Since these machine have live data, I
want to be extra cautious about reconfiguring this.  Here are the steps
that I will do, please let me know if there is any mistake anything
missing in the procedure. I am running drbd 8.3.8 on CentOS 5.6 systems.

1. On secondary node, stop the drbd processes

/etc/init.d/drbd stop

2. On the primary node, modifying
/etc/drbd.conf
of new nodes IP and disk backends

re-configuring/re-starting the firewall (iptables) to allow new node for
drbd traffic

reloading drbd for the new configuration file.
/etc/init.d/drbd reload

3. On the new node,
copy the /etc/drbd.conf file from primary host
modify and restart firewall

load drbd kernel module, preparing disks corresponding to the /etc/drbd.conf

initializing disks,

drbdadm create-md resource0
drbdadm attach resource0
drbdadm syncer resource0
drbdadm connect resource0

and for resource1, ...

Is there anything missing or wrong above?

Thank you very much for your help.

--
Zhi-Wei Lu
Bioinformatics Core