[DRBD-user] Poor DRBD performance, HELP!

Felix Frank ff at mpexnet.de
Mon Jun 27 10:20:16 CEST 2011

On 06/26/2011 05:30 PM, Andreas Hofmeister wrote:
> With 'dd' on a system with similar performance (8x15k SAS disks, LSI,
> 10GBE), I get 1GByte/s into the local block device but only 600MByte/s
> into the DRBD device. Using another benchmark ("fio" with async-I/O and
> larer values for I/O-depth), I can get up to about 1.2GByte/s in both
> cases.

Yes, dd is not a typical workload. It can be worthwile to use benchmarks
with more "realistic" workloads, but frankly, I disbelieve that many
people will find tools that accurately model their respective target
workloads in that respect.

I like the fact that dd will report a specific technical boundary to me.
If my real life workload load leads to even higher throughput, that is
appreciated.

An interesting question for me is: Is tuning for dd-like workloads
potentially harmful to random access throughput?
I certainly don't hope so.

Cheers,
Felix