[DRBD-user] Building drbd

Florian Haas florian.haas at linbit.com
Fri Jun 17 09:42:02 CEST 2011

On 2011-06-16 16:25, Josef Vogt wrote:
> Hi there
> I have two questions regarding the build process (I'm using RHEL6).
>
> After doing a
>
> ./configure --without-heartbeat --without-xen --with-km --without-rgmanager
> make clean all
> make rpm KDIR=/usr/src/kernels/2.6.32-xy...86_64/
>
> the drbd xen/rgmanager/heartbeat packages are built anyway. But the
> Makefile seems to be correct. Why is that?

Because the "make rpm" convenience target always builds the RPM with all
build conditionals set to their defaults.

To only build select binary RPMs, create (or download) a tarball, copy
that into your RPM %_sourcedir, then run

./configure --with-km --enable-spec
rpmbuild --without rgmanager --without xen --without heartbeat \
  -bb drbd.spec

As an alternative, you can of course always build all the packages and
choose to install only the ones you really plan to use.

> In the Changelog to 8.3.10 there is written:
>
> "Only build a single kernel module package on distributions that provide
> the infrastructure to have kernel version independent modules"

rpmbuild -bb drbd-kernel.spec

Alternatively, you can always get a support subscription and access to
certified binaries, so you don't have to go to all this trouble. :)

Hope this helps,

Cheers,
Florian