[DRBD-user] Write order

Gianluca Cecchi gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 08:30:20 CEST 2011

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 8:39 PM, Lars Ellenberg wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 11:07:38AM -0700, LangTuSJ wrote:
>>
>> Hi Lars,
>>
>> Thanks very much for your reply.  I'm not sure if I understand your answer
>> to 2nd part of my question so allow me further clarify what I meant.
>>
>> In case of DR, my primary server on Site 1 will be completely dead and
>> there's no way for me to access to it so I have to use what I currently have
>> on my secondary server on Site 2.  Now my main concern is the disaster
>> happened right in the middle of replicating.
>
> Well, yes, it usually does ;-)

And this is why you should complement sync/async replication with a
proper standard backup solution.
Possibly keeping your backup devices (eg tapes) offsite in respect
with the primary site, or keep in place a procedure that periodically
(granularity here depending on your specifical needs, such as
published RPO, RTO) keeps off the tapes from primary site.
This also covers other needs such as partial restores (think about
restore of single tables inside a large DB, for example).

Gianluca