[DRBD-user] DRBD issue: Device is held open by someone

Dileep Nayak tech.disscuss2011 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 17:40:03 CEST 2011

*Hi All,*

We've been facing this issue since last one year. We didn't get any solution
for that. Please can you help us out here. The problem is described as
below: *
*

*
*

*
*

*Problem summary*

 The problem is that when performing an HA failover from server A to server
B, a DRBD resource is sometimes not shut down properly on server A. Several
attempts are made to stop the DRBD resource, but finally it gives up and the
server is rebooted. The failover to server B works properly; B becomes the
Active server. After the reboot, server A comes up properly as the Standby
server.

 So everything ends up in a good state (B is Active, A is Standby as
expected). The issue is that server A is unexpectedly rebooted during the
failover. We are vulnerable for the time period that server A is rebooting
(a few minutes) in the sense that there is no Standby server to failover to.

 The problem is intermittent. Most HA failovers work as expected (server A
does not reboot).

 When the problem does occur, the following lines are logged in the logs and
displayed on the server console:

 drbd0: State change failed: Device is held open by someone
drbd0: state = { cs:Connected st:Primary/Secondary ds:UpToDate/UpToDate r---
}
drbd0: wanted = { cs:Connected st:Secondary/Secondary ds:UpToDate/UpToDate
r--- }

Thanks,

Regards,

Dileep Nayak