[DRBD-user] "Simple" LVM without clvmd?

Digimer linux at alteeve.com
Fri Jun 3 18:36:07 CEST 2011

On 06/03/2011 10:42 AM, Pete Ashdown wrote:
> Thank you for your help. I would like both hosts to be able to
> manipulate the LVM and run in dual primary mode. There isn't a whole lot
> of manipulation going on, and certainly not simultaneous.

The short answer to your earlier question of using LVM without CLVM on
Primary/Primary is "no".

The reason is;
- Primary/Primary requires distributed locking, DLM.
- DLM requires a closed process group (CPG), which comes from a formed
cluster; Corosync provides this.
- Corosync requires fencing/stonith to properly deal with faults in the
cluster when shared storage is in use.

Corosync runs just fine on Ubuntu; The problem is likely a configuration
issue of the CIB. I'd suggest joining the Pacemaker/OpenAIS (the
predecessor to corosync) mailing lists, and if you are on IRC, stop by
the #linux-cluster channel.

Getting a working cluster is not that difficult, but it does require
understanding the fundamentals. Once you have the cluster formed, you
will find that CLVM works just fine. It certainly doesn't lock LVs "for
not reason". :)

--
Digimer
E-Mail:              digimer at alteeve.com
Freenode handle:     digimer
Papers and Projects: http://alteeve.com
"I feel confined, only free to expand myself within boundaries."