[DRBD-user] Multi-disk devices possible?

Felix Frank ff at mpexnet.de
Fri Jun 3 11:12:51 CEST 2011

On 06/03/2011 11:06 AM, Sebastian wrote:
> Then we have ESXi on top, so the disks are virtualized.

So you're running DRBD inside a vmWare guest?

> I presume that to do this I would need to break my existing DRBD set-up and
> possibly lose all the data on it?  How can I do this without losing the
> data?  Can I make the cluster stand-alone, reconfigure one of the nodes to
> use an LVM Volume as my backing device, make that one the primary, wait
> until it resyncs, do the same on the other node, then extend the DRBD
> device, and then extend the filesystem?

What is the current layout and DRBD usage? You could get away with doing
this online.

1. Create VG on secondary (with free disks, assuming you have those)
2. take secondary offline, dd everything to an LV in the new VG
3. bring secondary back, using the new LVM backing device
4. promote secondary, repeat on former primary
5. scrub former backing devices, include in VG and expand LVs as desired
6. resize the DRBD as explained in the User's Guide

Cheers,
Felix