[DRBD-user] Recover primary node from disk failure.

Caspar Smit c.smit at truebit.nl
Fri Jul 29 13:46:06 CEST 2011

Hi all,

My primary node suffered a raid (md) failure and the drbd state is now:

cs:Connected ro:Primary/Secondary ds:Diskless/UpToDate C r----
    ns:76247848 nr:316725148 dw:0 dr:0 al:0 bm:0 lo:0 pe:0 ua:0 ap:0
ep:1 wo:b oos:0

So drbd is passing all IO to the second node.

In the meantime I fixed the md and now i'm ready to attach the md again.

But here's my question:

Do i NEED a failover so the secondary node becomes primary/uptodate or
can drbd handle the fact that when I attach the md again the primary
becomes synctarget / inconsistent, will it stil pass all IO to the
secondary node first until the primary is uptodate again?

in short:

Will "drbdadm attach <resource>" be sufficient to recover from
Primary/Diskless or do I need to do a failover first?

Met vriendelijke groet,

Caspar Smit
Systemengineer
True Bit Resources B.V.