[DRBD-user] Primary Inconsistent- not true, how to fix?

Felix Frank ff at mpexnet.de
Mon Jul 25 13:15:58 CEST 2011

Hi,

On 07/24/2011 10:28 PM, Christian Völker wrote:
> As both are backed by LVM I added the "use-bmbv" in disk {} section on
> both drbd.conf files. To update config I started a "drbdadm adjust
> drbd0" on node 1. On node2 this command refused as it was still syncing.
> node2 got rebooted again.
>
> Now my node1 shows up as: "cs:StandAlone st:Primary/Unknown
> ds:Inconsistent/DUnknown   r---"

this reminds me of something I've seen during a drbdadm adjust.
The adjusting Primary would re-initialize its DRBD and then (apparently)
sync back its hot AL extents from the peer. Seeing as the peer was
Inconsistent in your case (it was still syncing), this can't work, and
the Primary may go StandAlone as a result.

Please try and verify this scenario using the kernel logs of your Primary.

You can use the "-d" switch to do a dryrun before performing an adjust,
so as to get an early warning of possible resource restarts.

It's a good question why DRBD would commit to such destructive action
without issuing a warning. What version are you using? I'm inclined to
call bug on this one.

Cheers,
Felix