[DRBD-user] Update to DRBD User's Guide

Florian Haas florian.haas at linbit.com
Mon Jul 18 21:54:22 CEST 2011

Greetings everyone,

in the wake of the DRBD 8.4 release allow me to announce a new version
of the DRBD User's Guide. It is available from the usual location,

http://www.drbd.org/users-guide

If you are looking for a PDF, that too can be downloaded from the usual
place:

http://www.linbit.com/en/education/tech-guides/drbd-user-s-guide/

Please note that the new release is a departure from earlier releases in
that it always assumes you are in fact using the DRBD 8.4 release. For
those migrating to 8.4 from earlier releases, the User's Guide has
gained a "Recent Changes" appendix, which I would highly recommend to read:

http://www.drbd.org/users-guide/ap-recent-changes.html

For users of earlier DRBD versions, the old contents of the users guide
have been preserved at:

http://www.drbd.org/users-guide-legacy

The new version has dropped the chapters on Heartbeat R1 compatible
configurations, and configurations manipulating the CIB directly like
you had to do in Heartbeat 2. At this point, everyone should really be
using Pacemaker (whether on Heartbeat or Corosync).

As for new additions, we finally have information on how to manage
DRBD-backed LVM and OCFS2 with Pacemaker, variable-rate synchronization,
and others.

There are over 150 other changes all over the place.

I would also like to add that the User's Guide has been completely
converted from the mighty arcane DocBook XML to the much more accessible
text-based AsciiDoc format. The documentation sources are available from
the Git repository at the following URL:

git://git.drbd.org/drbd-documentation.git

Please take a look at the updated README if you are interested in
contributing to the documentation (which is always much, much appreciated).

Shout-out goes to new contributors Andreas Grünbacher, Brian Hellman and
Stefanie Edgar. Thanks a lot!

Cheers,
Florian