[DRBD-user] DRBD with RHCS using shared storage

splitbrain jay.cee.el at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 23:31:11 CET 2011

Hello Smart People!

I am trying to set up a DRBD configuration and I'm not sure it's even
possible but I thought I'd check before I decide to move forward. Here's my
set up:

It's a four node Red Hat Cluster running GFS2. Two of the nodes are in
Location A and the other two are in Location B. One node in location A is
configured with DRBD and syncing a disk on another node in location B. Both
of these nodes are primary so "synchronous" read/writes can occur. I was
able to configure sparse mode protocol independent multicasting on the
routers to pass RHCS heartbeat to and from each different geographic
location.

Here's the hitch. The node pairs are both connected to shared storage via
their FC HBAs in each location.

I have looked over the RHCS DRBD instructions at LINBIT and I have located
the drbd.sh and drbd.metadata scripts in the compiled DRBD stuff. However,
it's not clear to me if I can configure the node pairs in each location to
failover the DRBD service to their node peer if they were to fail.

The end state I am looking for is, if node A in location A fails, can DRBD
be failed over to node B in location A? They are using traditional shared
storage at each location.

It seems like it should be doable.

Thanks!