[DRBD-user] Local Asynchronous Replication

Nick Couchman Nick.Couchman at seakr.com
Tue Jan 25 20:41:41 CET 2011

> These steps may or may not work, I hope DRBD isn't smarter than is good
> for itself ;-)
>
> ip addr add 10.213.0.1/30 dev eth1
> ip addr add 10.213.0.2/30 dev eth1
> echo -e '10.213.0.1\tselfA' >> /etc/hosts
> echo -e '10.213.0.2\tselfB' >> /etc/hosts
>
> Then use selfA and selfB as peers in your DRBD configuration.
>
> All of this is untested, but I hope you get the general idea. Yes, the
> addresses are arbitrary.
>
> HTH,
> Felix

Yeah, I'm running into a couple of issues with this.  DRBD only seems to
act on sections in the config file that match the actual host name of
the system you're running on.  This comes with three consequences.
First, if I don't specify the actual host name in the drbd.conf file, it
refuses to actually create any meta data or start any processes.
Second, if I try to specify the same host name twice with different
parameters for the network and block devices, it errors out with
"conflicting host sections."  Third, if I specify the local host name
and then a bogus host name, it starts the drbd processes for the actual
host name, but ignores the bogus one.

So, if my config file looks like this:
global {
        usage-count no;
}

resource r0 {
        protocol A;
        device /dev/drbd0;
        meta-disk internal;
        on selfa {
                address 172.16.0.1:7789;
                disk /dev/sda;
        }
        on selfb {
                address 172.16.0.2:7789;
                disk /dev/sdb;
        }
}

and we assume that the actual host name of the system is selfa, and that
the IPs listed are both assigned to the Ethernet interface eth0, drbd
starts the processes listening on 172.16.0.1:7789, but does not start
them for 172.16.0.2:7789.  Also, /proc/drbd looks like this:

version: 8.3.8 (api:88/proto:86-94)
GIT-hash: d78846e52224fd00562f7c225bcc25b2d422321d build by
mockbuild at builder10.centos.org, 2010-06-04 08:04:27
 0: cs:WFConnection ro:Secondary/Unknown ds:Inconsistent/DUnknown A
r----
    ns:0 nr:0 dw:0 dr:0 al:0 bm:0 lo:0 pe:0 ua:0 ap:0 ep:1 wo:b
oos:10485404

It shows the secondary machine as "Unknown" indicating no connectivity
between the two.

-Nick

--------
This e-mail may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient.  If this email is not intended for you, or you are not responsible for the delivery of this message to the intended recipient, please note that this message may contain SEAKR Engineering (SEAKR) Privileged/Proprietary Information.  In such a case, you are strictly prohibited from downloading, photocopying, distributing or otherwise using this message, its contents or attachments in any way.  If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this e-mail and delete the message from your mailbox.  Information contained in this message that does not relate to the business of SEAKR is neither endorsed by nor attributable to SEAKR.