[DRBD-user] DRBD and KVM for a HA-Cluster ?

Lentes, Bernd bernd.lentes at helmholtz-muenchen.de
Fri Jan 14 17:39:59 CET 2011

Felix Frank wrote:

> > Ok, i try to unnderstand:
> > With lvcreate -s i create the snapshot. This creates an
> entry /dev/vgxxx/lvxxx.
> > Then i use kpartx for ... what ? Creating a second entry in
> /dev/... ?
> >
> > I tested this:
> > created a snapshot /dev/vg1/lv_home_snapshot.
> > kpartx -lv  /dev/vg1/lv_home_snapshot says ... nothing.
>
> "lv_home_snapshot"? Is that an LV that contains a partitioned
> disk image?
> If it is, it's not clear to me why no partitions are
> displayed. I've used this with an image of a VM harddrive before.
>
> Sorry to be not quite helpful.

lv_home_snapshot is a snapshot form a normal LV which has a filesystem.
My question is: I like to install vm's using KVM into plain lv's which have no filesystem.
How can i backup a partition which has no filesystem without using dd ? DD is slow and copies _every_
sector of a 50GB lv, although just e.g. 20GB are occupied.

Bernd