[DRBD-user] DRBD and KVM for a HA-Cluster ?

Digimer linux at alteeve.com
Fri Jan 14 16:31:43 CET 2011

On 01/14/2011 10:01 AM, Lentes, Bernd wrote:
> Digimer wrote:
>>
>> I suppose you could create the snapshot and then use 'dd' to
>> create a bit-level image of the LV.
>>
> If i have a lv of 50 GB for example, i think dd will need a long time, right ?
>
> Bernd

Yup, won't be the fastest in the world. There may be other options than
'dd'. The point I was getting at was that the LV is just like a hard
drive. The LVM snapshotting would provide you with a method of imaging
the drive while it was still online (versus pulling/copying the drive
had it been actual hardware).

Now you can always run a backup application from within the VM as well.
I do this in clusters where snapshotting is not possible. Inside the VM
I use LVM (again, as if the VM was an OS on bare hardware). I leave a
bit of space for an LVM snapshot and the mount that and backup the VM's
contents as if it had been a good old fashion server.

You have options; Which you choose depends on your wants and tolerances.

--
Digimer
E-Mail: digimer at alteeve.com
AN!Whitepapers: http://alteeve.com