[DRBD-user] Failing to migrate two DRBD nodes

Felix Frank ff at mpexnet.de
Wed Jan 12 13:36:09 CET 2011

On 01/12/2011 01:26 PM, Marc Richter wrote:
> Hi There.
>
> I'm still failing in replacing a HA - node and home someone may help me.
> I'm trying the following:
> I have two nodes which serve as a HA - NAS and are connected by DRBD. We
> have bought new Hardware and installed a new version of the Linux
> Distribution onto this new devices. Since the complete initial sync
> takes a long time and makes the devices quite unusable for 5 hours, I'm
> planing to do the following:
>
> 1) Remove the secondary node from the cluster by issuing "drbdadm
> disconnect r0".
>
> 2) Connecting the first new node to this removed node and have the
> initial re sync done without affecting the live node.

Do you make the SyncSource Primary? Because you shouldn't.
Instead, it should stay Secondary and the new node should connect with
--discard-my-data.

Not sure if that's enough. If in doubt, don't bother syncing at all.
Just disconnect your secondary and dd its backing device to the new
node's backing device.

Regards,
Felix