[DRBD-user] configuring 2 services on 2 hosts

J. Ryan Earl oss at jryanearl.us
Mon Jan 10 19:54:17 CET 2011

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 12:51 PM, J. Ryan Earl <oss at jryanearl.us> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 1:23 PM, J <j at koarcg.com> wrote:
>
>> In a related question. Is it possible to take a snapshot of the secondary
>> volume while the drbd is active? I can't find the exact link, but the user's
>> guide mentioned not accessing the secondary AT ALL while the primary was
>> active. I assumed that would include taking snapshots of the secondary?
>

> A DRBD device in secondary mode will not be accessible in anyway.   IIRC,
> the /dev/drbdX device won't even exist at this point.  If you're using
> protocol C and have the DRBD resource on top of LV, you can still snapshot
> it and the snapshot should be consistent for a point-in-time.
>
> -JR

I should say, you can still snapshot it on [the secondary node at the
time]...

Otherwise, if you're running active-passive with LVM on-top of DRBD, then
the snapshot can only be instigated by the primary and the snapshot CoW
volume will be replicated to the secondary.  Keep in mind, DRBD +
Snapshotting will impose triple overhead on writes.

-JR