[DRBD-user] difference in speed when using external metadata

Felix Frank ff at mpexnet.de
Mon Jan 10 14:39:53 CET 2011

On 01/09/2011 05:03 PM, Bart Coninckx wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> am reading the Novell docs on DRBD and one of the ways they mention to speed
> up DRBD is using external metadata. Possibly a hard question to answer but
> could someone indicate by what degree this would enhance speed (provided using
> a sufficient fast disk for the metadata, like a SSD)?

Hi,

I'd believe that the greater part of the benefit stems from having
seperate physical devices write data vs. metadata. Think of all the
seeks necessary to flush the activity log all the time.

Being such, I'd also expect SSD to suffer no penalty from internal
metadata. But I'd be happy to stand corrected.

Cheers,
Felix