[DRBD-user] configuring 2 services on 2 hosts

Stefan Seifert nine at detonation.org
Thu Jan 6 18:40:54 CET 2011

On Thursday 06 January 2011 18:24:56 J wrote:

> Putting in the lvm mainly to do snapshot style backups.  This makes me
> wonder if it's a doable usecase to add more drives and have more than
> one drbd partition in a pv group and then resize the lv if needed to
> increase space (Man that's wild stuff).
>
> But anyway, is setting up a pv on top of a drbd a good idea?

It is certainly a supported configuration, but in your case I'd do it the other
way round: putting two drbd devices on top of lvm. This way you can resize
without trouble and distribute the space easily. And you can still use it for
snapshotting even on the secondary node! So in short, I'd do it this way:
md0: sda1, sdb1
mount md0 /boot

md1: sda2, sdb2
use md1 as pv for vg1
have swap, / and your application and database volumes in vg1
Use application and database volumes for drbd and put filesystems on top.

Now you're very flexible and can do snapshots of all your devices. And you can
use the free space in your one volume group for those snapshots.

Regards,
Stefan