[DRBD-user] configuring 2 services on 2 hosts

Stefan Seifert nine at detonation.org
Thu Jan 6 17:25:41 CET 2011

On Thursday 06 January 2011 16:46:40 J wrote:

> Thanks for the suggestions. I've been using linux software raid for
> years, and I've been very pleased with the results. Never lost a bit
> actually :) After doing some research, I've decided to hold off on the
> SSD drives until I get the system up in a state that can be tested with
> the platter-based hard drives. After doing a lot of reading (like
> anandtech.com), I'm worried about the long-term stability of SSD
> devices. Also, the price differences between the "consumer-grade
> crapware" and "enterprise-level sweetness" is pretty big. I was looking
> at getting some ocz vertex 2's, but stability concerns really scared me.
> I don't think x25's are in my budget (for the size I want).

Just to add another point of view: we just upgraded our cluster hardware and
are now using these OCZ Vertex 2s. It is an HA cluster whiches whole point is
to provide failover in case some hardware breaks. So what if those SSDs have a
little higher failure rate. We're using RAID and in addition have the failover
cluster. I've had enough HDDs dieing on me to not be scared anymore...

And performance is just fantastic!

Regards,
Stefan