[DRBD-user] DRBD and KVM for a HA-Cluster ?

Digimer linux at alteeve.com
Thu Jan 6 14:52:47 CET 2011

On 01/06/2011 08:19 AM, Lentes, Bernd wrote:
> I want to run my DRBD-devices on logical volumes, because they are easy to resize. Assume that i have two nodes with one kvm in each case. The KVM is being installed in a a plain LV, without filesystem and without being mounted. The lv's are synchronised with DRBD. Do i need clvm or lvm ?
>
> Bernd

  Using DRBD resources as LVM PVs is perfectly fine. Keep in mind though
that I don't think DRBD resources can be resized themselves, though I
could be wrong. What I've done in the past is to simply setup a second
DRBD resource, set it as a PV and then add that PV to the common VG.

  If you're building a 2-node cluster and you are running
Primary/Primary, then yes, I think Clustered LVM is best (perhaps not
*strictly* required). Given that each VM is on a dedicated LV, in theory
you should not need clustered locking, though I think having CLVM is a
good idea. It gives you the option of creating a GFS2 partition with the
VMs XML config files, shared ISOs, etc. I always do this, so I should
say that I've not looked at the feasibility of *not* using CLVM/GFS2.

Cheers

--
Digimer
E-Mail: digimer at alteeve.com