[DRBD-user] LVM and DRBD

Etienne Pretorius etiennep at kingsley.co.za
Tue Feb 15 15:37:41 CET 2011

Hello List,

This is more lvm centric, just wandered if anyone could point out what I
have done wrong.

I have the following setup:

sda1 => +---+
        |md0|
sdb1 => +---+ => lvm:system-drdb => drdb:r0 => lvm:vm

Before the creation of volume group vm:

  "/dev/mapper/system-drbd" is a new physical volume of "1.78 TiB"
  --- NEW Physical volume ---
  PV Name               /dev/mapper/system-drbd
  VG Name
  PV Size               1.78 TiB
  Allocatable           NO
  PE Size               0
  Total PE              0
  Free PE               0
  Allocated PE          0
  PV UUID               Hsxjgt-KqDI-wNvd-ngqG-3sx3-DoyW-ZbOwxP

After creation of volume group vm:
  --- Physical volume ---
  PV Name               /dev/dm-3
  VG Name               vm
  PV Size               1.78 TiB / not usable 4.00 MiB
  Allocatable           yes
  PE Size               4.00 MiB
  Total PE              466795
  Free PE               466795
  Allocated PE          0
  PV UUID               Hsxjgt-KqDI-wNvd-ngqG-3sx3-DoyW-ZbOwxP

The filter in /etc/lvm.conf is set to:

filter = [ "a|md.*|", "a|drbd.*|", "r|.*|" ]

BUT when I try and create a Logical Volume, the following happens:

lvm> lvcreate vm -n freeradius -L 102400000K
  device-mapper: reload ioctl failed: Invalid argument
  Aborting. Failed to activate new LV to wipe the start of it.
  Node /dev/mapper/vm-freeradius was not removed by udev. Falling back
to direct node removal.

Does anybody have any idea why I can not create a Logical Volume in the
Volume Group?

Thank You,
Etienne Pretorius